Garage Door Drum Replacement
Every garage door system has a large number of parts, one of which is the garage door opener drum. The technicians at Austin Overhead Doors are qualified to work on all parts, including garage door opener drums. Inspecting and replacing the drum are just two of many things they can do.
What Are Drums? Why Are They Important?All garage door opener systems that uses cables, also use drums. Each cable has its own drum, which is imperative to the operations of the door. The drum sits at the top corner area closest to where the garage door sits when it is closed, near the outer wall. In these garage door systems, the drum is the part that does the actual work. The garage door opener drum rotates and controls the movement of the cables and, therefore, the garage door. The drum is essential to a cable based garage door to open and close the door.
What Breaks on a Garage Door Opener Drum?Typically, it is the actual drum that breaks or becomes unrepairable. Drums require a considerably closer and more in-depth inspection than most any other part. Drum damage is not only harder to locate and more important to locate but also much more dangerous than other problems.
- The drum has one or more places where pieces have chipped off
- The drum as developed one or more cracks
- The drum has become warped
- Rust has begun to form on the drum
- The grooves that hold the cables have smoothed out
- The cables no longer stay on the drums
- Small divots have developed on the drums